Skip to main content

Get the latest information from CDC | NIH / Español

If you need alcohol treatment while practicing physical distancing, there are several professionally led treatment and mutual-support group options available to you.

Home > Special Features > Getting Help

Getting Help

Professional help

Your doctor. Primary care and mental health practitioners can provide effective alcohol use disorder (AUD) treatment by combining new medications with brief counseling visits.

To aid clinicians, NIAAA has developed a guide for younger patients, Alcohol Screening and Brief Intervention for Youth: A Practitioner’s Guide. Please visit NIAAA’s resources for health professionals and community leaders for more information.

Specialists in AUD. For specialty addiction treatment options, contact your doctor, health insurance plan, local health department, or employee assistance program. Other resources include:

Medical and non-medical addiction specialists

American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry

American Psychological Association
1–800–964–2000 (ask for your state’s referral number to find psychologists with addiction specialties)

American Society of Addiction Medicine
301–656–3920 (ask for the phone number of your state’s chapter)

NAADAC, the Association for Addiction Professionals

National Association of Social Workers (search for social workers with addiction specialties)

Treatment facilities

Substance Use Treatment Facility Locator

Mutual-support groups

Alcoholics Anonymous (AA)

Moderation Management

SMART Recovery

Women for Sobriety

Groups for family and friends

Al-Anon Family Groups
1–888–425–2666 for meetings

Adult Children of Alcoholics

Information resources

National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism

National Institute on Drug Abuse

National Institute of Mental Health